Have a Significant Impact in the World
A natural outcome of the previous goals forms the basis of our final one and an elemental rationale for undertaking this strategic plan: to have a significant impact in the world—locally, nationally, and globally.
We can accomplish this goal by focusing on translation of current research, knowledge, and capabilities to improve care delivery and health outcomes. Breakthrough discoveries must be coupled with the creation of systems for translating those findings to pioneering care for our community, the commonwealth, and the world. We must apply the expertise and resources of the Medical School and the clinical system in a coordinated fashion to improve the health and quality of life for the communities we serve. We must be the model for evidence-based medicine and continue to produce the physicians and scientists to lead discoveries, their translation to care, and the creation of local and global delivery systems.
An impact can also be made through public service. However, a joint strategy for community and public service is needed to leverage the numerous public service activities and expertise of both organizations.
We can also make an impact in the world through a global strategy and linkages. We must work to establish a network of global partnerships that mutually benefits and enriches education, health professions training, and quality patient care for UMMS, UMass Memorial and our collaborators worldwide.
To have a significant impact in the world, our priorities are to:
- establish community outreach initiatives designed to allow multilateral communications between the UMMS research community and the community at large. Such initiatives should inform the community of opportunities to participate in UMMS research and inform UMMS investigators of the research priorities of the community;
- create a joint office for public service activities to:
- create, maintain, and publish a living inventory of public
- effectively measure the impact of public service initiatives;
- identify commonalities, gaps, and opportunities in public service initiatives;
- facilitate the identification and implementation of a "marquee" initiative that UMMS and UMass Memorial will commit to addressing jointly; and
- measure and report the results of the marquee initiative;
- enhance collaboration with the other UMass campuses and other Worcester area colleges to further our goals and priorities;
- create a provost-level leadership structure to align and enhance global health initiatives spanning the mission of education, research, clinical care, and service; and
- develop global partnerships with institutions of higher learning in Europe, Asia, Africa, and elsewhere that may serve as platforms for our education, research, and service goals.