We are a leading academic health sciences center, consisting of the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) and UMass Memorial Health Care (UMass Memorial).
Over the years, while separately serving our patients, learners, faculty, staff, and communities, we each have been committed to aligning our efforts seamlessly in order to achieve our shared mission of advancing the health and well-being of the people of the commonwealth and the world. As a result, much of the work of UMMS and UMass Memorial has become inextricably linked, with the success of each organization being dependent on the other.
While some of the component parts of our enterprise have established plans for the future, this strategic plan was created to cross historic borders in order to create a framework for the whole system, bringing together school and clinical system, basic science and clinical departments, educators and researchers. Its common objectives form a blueprint for the paths and priorities we will follow over the next five years to collectively achieve our stated goals, which were created through consensus by representative groups of both organizations.
To construct this watershed document, we integrated the existing clinical system plan into a new combined plan, thus providing the academic pillar so important for the successful execution of the clinical system plan, while also creating the first comprehensive strategic plan for the Medical School. This approach leverages the combination of our individual and exceptional capabilities, which should enable both organizations to flourish, not just function, in the future.
Our mission is to advance the health and well-being of the people in the commonwealth and the world through pioneering advances in education, research, and health care delivery.
As a combined enterprise, we value:
- improving health and enhancing access to care for people within our community, the commonwealth, and the world;
- excellence in achieving the highest quality standards in patient care and satisfaction, education, and research;
- common good as an institutional focus, exercised both internally and externally;
- collegiality as we work through a shared vision for the common good;
- integrity in decision-making and actions held to the highest ethical standards;
- diversity promoted within our institution to foster an atmosphere of compassion, courtesy, and mutual respect, stimulating inventiveness and broadening our talents and perspectives;
- academic opportunity and scholarship through high-quality, affordable educational programs for the training of physicians, nurses, advanced practitioners, researchers, and educators; and
- scientific advancement made possible by embracing creative thinking and innovation to yield an understanding of the causes, prevention, and treatment of human disease for the pursuit of knowledge and the benefit of people everywhere.
To become one of the nation's most distinguished academic health sciences centers, we seek to:
- achieve excellence in the practice of safe, high-quality care;
- design and implement innovative educational methods to train educators, clinicians, and scientists to meet the future health care workforce needs in Massachusetts and the United States;
- develop educators, clinicians, and scientists who are equipped to become the next generation of outstanding leaders in health care;
- develop and capitalize on the strengths of all staff who provide the operational support for an academic health sciences center;
- nurture ongoing progress in the basic sciences to fuel breakthrough discoveries that will transform the practice of medicine;
- translate scientific discoveries to improve patient outcomes and address the root causes of poor health; and
- partner to create and optimize health care initiatives that improve the health of the communities we serve.